Tuesday, April 15, 2008

3 months old and still growing

Today is my 3 month birthday! For those so inclined, I'm not big on receiving gifts, so in lieu of 3-month birthday presents, please send me 4-month birthday presents.

As I wrote a few posts ago, I've recently discovered that my hands do, in fact, belong to me, and apparently so do my five fingers. Staring at my fingers for so long, and trying to put all five of them (plus the rest of my hand) into my mouth at the same time, I've learned a bit of math, so on this birthday I did some nifty calculations.

Without the benefit of a baby scale, I'd estimate that in just three months I've grown from an 8lb. 1oz., 20.5 inch newborn into a 15lb., 24.5in. infant, depending on whether I've recently pooped. According to my Dad, I've gone from the size of a red-tailed lemur to that of a ring-tailed lemur, but quite honestly I don't think he knows what a lemur is.

If I consider that the average American born in 2008 has a life expectancy of 77.9 years, then if I continue my growth trajectory, by then I'll be 2,161 lbs. 12 oz. in weight and 103 ft 10in tall! Hopefully my feet will grow, too, otherwise I'll tip over.

Here's my representation of what I will look like next to a giraffe in 77.9 years.













Now, of course, in doing my calculations I used a straight line approach - growing by roughly 7 lbs. and 4 inches every 3 months. I thought this was more reasonable than the exponential approach, where I'd grow my weight by 86% and height by 20% every three months. That would top me out at 1.5x10^85 lbs and 2.7x10^24 ft tall, which is apparently larger than our solar system. I'm not kidding, that's what it works out to. Frankly, I think the straight line number is more likely, don't you? I'm going to need bigger onesies.

Anyway, I'm excited to go visit my cousins in LA this weekend, and no doubt I'll have many pictures of them poking and prodding me and treating me like an inanimate object. So stay tuned!

Love,
Spencer

No comments: