Sunday, October 12, 2008

The Great Pumpkin

With all the turmoil in the markets, it felt fantastic to take a weekend and just feel normal. But let's be serious - it's not like the failure of Wamu or Lehman impacts the day-to-day life of an 8-month-old. I just like to sound dramatic about a trip to the pumpkin patch.

I'm not kidding. My parents took me pumpkin picking, or as Sarah Palin calls it: "Punkin Pickin." This probably will come as a shock to many of you. There are a few activities that a family of Jews can be reliably expected not to undertake. Eating casserole, for one. Watching mixed martial arts is a good example as well. Easter egg hunt - definitely no. And pumpkin picking? I'll just say that we were the only wandering Hebrews in the county.

But I have to say - at the risk of having my circumcision revoked (ouch!) - that it was a lot of fun. Pumpkins are big and orange and they are outstanding at helping me stand up. Here are a few pictures to give you a sense...






What's with my dad rubbing his nose on his sleeve here? The pumpkin stem has an underrated taste.







This one's more my size. Insert your own picture caption according to your personal threshold for suggestiveness.









Time to go on a ride with my pumpkin friends!






Boo! I'm a skeleton!







Just a note: the final presidential debate is on Wednesday night. It won't be a town hall style debate, so that means no McCain wandering around the stage looking for his lost kitten. But I can assure you I'll be watching...

Love,
Spencer

No comments: