Sunday, September 7, 2008

With a name like Fannie Mae...

It's official. If you create a company that has a silly name, it's bound to go bankrupt. So far this year, we've seen the demise of such notable weirdos as IndyMac Bancorp and Quebecor World and Linens N Things (what? you couldn't afford to spell "and" on your signage?) and, of course, anything with the word "airlines" in it.

And now, the silliest of the sillies have gone under - Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

The US treasury secretary, Hank Paulson...whose father is presumably named Paul...announced today that the government will be finally taking over the two government sponsored mortgage giants with names straight from 1950's Kansas.

I hear that the price tag is around $200 billion. It must have been a tough choice for George Cheney and Dick Bush to decide whether to spend $200B on the mortgage twins vs. invading another couple of muslim nation-states, like Iran or Sweden. But Barack seems to agree with the move, so it must be right. Barack knows EVERYTHING. He's my man. He loves change, and I love to be changed, so our interests are aligned.

Anyhoo, I don't like the idea of the government getting into the mortgage business. It sounds a bit Soviet. Next thing you know they'll be requiring any new housing to be built with concrete and Syracuse will start to look like Vladivostok...in more ways than just the weather.

This whole financial mess gets me depressed about the fact that my generation will owe about $250K each, at least, as our part of the national det (not a spelling error, from here on out I'm excluding superfluous silent letters - a baby has to have principles). But the more I get stressed about these factors that are beyond the average person's control, the more I've come to realize that what the country REALLY needs isn't change - it just needs more unbelievably cute pictures of me:

Here I am chasing after my mom in my birthday suit...and it's not even my birthday yet!











And now a few really funny faces!









Love,
Spencer

No comments: