Sunday, August 10, 2008

spencer: future olympian

Let me begin by expressing my appreciation to the creator of the prune. Without going into too much detail, let's just say that my introduction to solid food has been challenging to my intestines, and I had a little stretch where there was an imbalance between inflows and, ahem, outflows. I was plugged up like Marcellus Wallace's mouth in the gimp's dungeon in Pulp Fiction.

But glory to the prune! Here's a quick picture of what it looks like when a 6-month-old is administered prune therapy.


Although it had the...shall we say...desired effect..., I couldn't help but feel like John McCain. Yes, prunes are for old people.

Hopefully many of you are following the Beijing olympics. We're only 2 days into it, but it's been fascinating to me so far. To be honest, while I watch parts of the olympics with my dad, I'm really focused on deciding which sport I'm going to compete in during the Dubai olympics of 2028. Here's where I am with this.

First, I need to be realistic about myself. I'm jewish, which cuts out certain sports (weightlifting, pig wrestling, bacon eating). Also, my parents are roughly average sized...based on statistics collected for 17th century americans...which cuts out others (volleyball, high jump, apple picking).

One of the first sports I watched was fencing. I thought this was a cool sport. You get to wear futuristic outfits and stab people without the fuzz coming after you. And I can't imagine it's as competitive as things like sprinting and swimming. Plus, I like the idea of an NBC promotion advertising the gold medal match of Inigo Montoya against"Spencer the Fencer." But fencing doesn't sound like something you can do recreationally, like swimming or tennis...unless you decide to head to central park and go pigeon-impaling with a few friends...so it doesn't get me that excited.

Gymnastics looks way cool, especially that high bar. So does archery, because it's just like fencing (you get to impale things) but there's less chance of you getting impaled back. Individually these sports aren't enough to get me to train for the next 20 years, but maybe together...a new sport where while a gymnast is rotating around the high bar you get to shoot him with bow and arrow?

In the end I'm not sure I'm ever going to make it to the olympics as an athlete or whatever you call the people who do equestrian dressage (just checking if my mom's cousin is reading this...). But that's ok. I feel like a part of the games by drinking Coke, wearing Nike, using a Lenovo computer, and eating at McDonald's and paying for it all with my Visa card. I'm so corporate.

A few more pictures from the weekend when my grandma and grandpa visited...



Love,
Spencer

No comments: